2013年3月27日水曜日

Japan's Food: The Corn Potage Soup Popsicle (yeah, you heard right!)



Oh, it's no joke. The Japanese company Akagi, known for its ice-pops, has released a corn portage flavoured Popsicle... with real chunks of corn...

oh dear god...

ガリガリ君リッチ・コーンポーダジュ/ Gari Gari kun Rich Corn Potage

Gari Gari kun is one of the most loved ice pops in Japan. Starting with its original Soda flavour, the line includes various other tastes such as Cola, Lemon Squash, Grape, Mandarin, Nashi Pear, Chocolate chip... the usual Popsicle flavours (so where the hell did this fuckin' curve-ball come from!?)

It was originally sold in September last year, but they had to cease production after 3 days... BECAUSE IT SOLD TOO MUCH!!
Yes, the oddity went viral. Twitter and Facebook went crazy over it.

And as of today... it's back...

Well, I didn't get a chance to have a taste the first time around (partly cos I was shit scared of what it would taste like), so I went down to my nearest convenient store. (Hoping desperately that they would be out of stock to give me an excuse to not have to taste the damn thing)

Fuck...
 Oh, what I do for views for this blog...

Best case scenario, it tastes great and I win a T-shirt

I'm doing this for you guys out there!!

And... as skeptical as I was... as f*cked up the idea is... it's... not that bad... in fact... it kinda works...

You almost won't care about the chunks of corn... almost...
It's sweet. But not overly sweet. The creamy texture of the corn soup sorta matches the light sweetness. It is very creamy, its even more cream than corn. The creamy texture and creamy sweetness kinda reminded of ice-cream.... cream....
You couldn't really guess that the flavour was corn soup from the first bite... oh but then you get the chunks of corn... it's sweet corn, which sorta works with the whole sweet thing... but it just feels weird biting on corn as you eat a popsicle. But I guess that's the whole gimmick! duh!

Overall, despite the idea feeling like a very cold joke that isn't funny, they actually played it pretty safe with the flavour. It works. I recommend you take a chance. Having said that I'm not gonna buy another one.

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...